Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I'm still here!

Happy New Year! I had been taking a bit of a computer break, enjoying the holidays (and then recovering from the holidays too!)

I picked up a new obsession in my absence: crochet! I have been "hooking" non-stop for a few months now and even designed my own cardigan!

It was super quick and easy (I made mine in 2 days) and I thought I'd share the pattern with you! This super simple cardi is somewhat Anthropologie inspired, I fell in love with all of the ruffle cardigans they had this winter, but I did not fall in love with the prices! So here is my version: enjoy! (Please excuse the crappy photos)





Easy Squeezy Ruffle Cardigan

Size 5.0 hook
Worsted weight yarn: 4(+) skeins
I used Malabrigo Worsted

Finished Size: medium/large (36 bust)

DC: Double Crochet
st(s): stitch, stitches
CH: Chain
SC: Single Crochet
BLO: Back Loop Only

Chain 52
Row 1: Skip 2 ch, DC in 3rd ch and each chain across, CH 3, turn. (50)
Row 2: DC in 1st stitch, *1 DC in next st, 2 DC in next st* repeat from * to end. Always put last DC in ch 3 from previous row CH 3 turn. (75)
Row 3: DC in each St across to end. CH 3, turn (75)
Row 4: DC in 1st st, *1 DC in next 2 sts, 2 DC in next st* repeat * to end (100)
Row 5: DC in each st across, CH 3, turn (100)
Row 6: DC in 1st st, *1DC in next 3 st, 2 DC in next st* repeat * to end (125)
Rows 7-12: DC in each st across, chain 3 turn.

Row 13: DC in 1st 18 sts, skip 28 sts, DC in next st. DC in next 33 sts, skip 28 sts, DC in next st, and in each remaining st across (this creates the arm holes)

Rows 14- desired length: DC in each st across. Finish off once you've reached the length you want.

Attach yarn to arm opening and DC in each stitch around to desired length. (if you want fuller sleeves, like mine, put 2 DC in a few of the stitches). Do not slip stitch, just DC in the round.
To add optional ruffles: *2 DC in 1st st, 3 DC in next st* repeat to end, join with slip stitch the first ruffle stitch. Repeat for other sleeve.

Attach yarn at bottom right side of cardigan opening and SC in back loop only (BLO) evenly up the side, around the collar and down the other side. (I had HDC on mine, but would SC if I had it to do over again) Repeat as desired. Add button holes if desired. To add optional ruffles at neck: beginning where you want the ruffle to start: *2 DC in 1st st, 3 DC in next st* repeat to end.

I also SC in each ruffle st around with a contrasting yarn. I used 2 vintage buttons at the top on mine. I also did one row after the final increase row in BLO just to accentuate the circular look.

That's it! You can make it bigger or smaller just by adjusting the size of the beginning chain, or adding or deleting increases. Just try it on as you go!

I hope this isn't too complicated, please let me know if you have questions!

3 comments:

Jan said...

Love you cardigan, Amy! Super cute.
Saving the instructions. Thank you.

Susan Catmull said...

Wow,that's fabulous. Looks great on you.

Mary Jane said...

Your cardigan is beautiful Amy!